,July 20, 2021
Image: Lisa Guy
This pan-fried Persian rice dish called tahdig ‘bottom of the pan’ has a crisp golden crust with soft fluffy rice inside. This delicious side dish goes well with roasted fish, chicken or lamb.
- 2 cups basmati rice, soaked overnight
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 heaped tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Pinch saffron
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Coriander, slivered almonds, pistachios, pomegranate seeds, to serve
- Drain your soaked rice.
- Par-boil the rice by bringing 4 cups of water to boil in a large pot, adding rice and cooking over medium heat for 8 mins. The rice should be starting to soften. Drain and run under cold water.
- Combine 1¼ cups of rice with yoghurt.
- Dissolve turmeric and saffron in 2 tbsp of boiling water.
- In a medium-size non-stick pan over medium heat, add olive oil and turmeric and make sure pan is well coated.
- Add the yoghurt rice first to the pan so the whole bottom of the pan is covered, then add the plain rice. Make 5 holes through the rice with the end of a knife or spoon. Cook for 10 mins on medium heat then cover and reduce heat to low and cook for another 30 mins.
- To remove, place a plate over the pan and flip rice upside down. Top with roughly chopped cilantro, slivered almonds and pomegranate seeds.
Lisa Guy is a respected Sydney-based naturopath, author and passionate foodie with 16 years of clinical experience. She runs a naturopathic clinic in Rose Bay called Art of Healing and is the founder of Bodhi Organic Tea.
Lisa is a great believer that good wholesome food is one of the greatest pleasures in life and the foundation of good health. Lisa encourages her clients to get back to eating what nature intended: good, clean, wholesome food that’s nutrient-rich and free from high levels of sugars, harmful fats, artificial additives and pesticides. Her aim is to change the way people eat, cook and think about food.
Lisa is an avid health writer, being a regular contributor to The Sunday Telegraph‘s Body and Soul, and leading magazines including WellBeing. Lisa is an author of five books to date, including My Goodness: all you need to know about children’s health and nutrition , Pregnancy Essentials, Heal Yourself, Listen to your Body and Healthy Skin Diet .
This Persian baked eggs dish is like comfort in a bowl. Dial up the spice with the addition of chilli,…
This vegetarian lasagne recipe is the ultimate winter warmer, packed with nourishing veggies and gluten-free goodness the whole family will…
These pasties are a beautiful and nourishing take on a traditional pastry filled with vegetables and herbs. Eat fresh out…